Ranil Wickremesinghe was sworn in as Sri Lanka's prime minister, making a remarkable comeback weeks after being ousted by President Maithripala Sirisena under controversial circumstances.
- Sirisena appointed Mahinda Rajapaksa as the new prime minister, resulting in a constitutional crisis in Lanka. Most of the countries in the world did not recognize the Rajapaksa government.
- Wickremesinghe political party UNP formed the government in 2015 with the support of Sirisena's party. Then Rajapaksa had to go out of power.
- On 26, October the United Front government led by Vikramsinghe withdrew support from Sirisena, which led to a minority government.
- Sri Lankan President Maitripala Sirisena sacked Ranil Wickremesinghe on 26October,
- According to UNP Secretary General Akila Viraj Kariyavasam, the new Cabinet will be constituted within two days.
- Wickremesinghe has taken oath of office for the fifth time Sri Lanka, but before that, he has not been able to complete his term once before.