Roatia’s midfielder Luca Modrich (33) has won prestigious honor of football, Ballon d’Or. He was rewarded for his key role in Croatia’s historic run to FIFA World Cup final (defeated by France) and his club Real Madrid’s third straight Champions League trophy. With this, he ended the tenure of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo for almost decade.
- 33-year-old Luca becomes Croatia's first footballer to win this award.
- Luca played an important role in getting the Champions League trophy for the third consecutive season in Real Madrid.
- Youth forward Kyllian Mbpa of France and Paris Saint Germain was chosen as the youngest player of the year.
- Luca played an important role in making Real Madrid champions in Champions League last season.
About Ballon d'Or
- It is the annual award given by French weekly magazine 'France Football'.
- Cristiano Ronaldo of Portugal won it for the fifth time on December 7,
- Ronaldo has won this award in the year 2008, 2013, 2014, 2016 and
- Lionel Messi has won this award in the year 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and
- The football journalists around the world vote for this award.