Arvind Saxena (1978-batch - Indian Postal Service officer) has been appointed as the chairman of the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).Earlier, Mr. Saxena has been performing duties of the post of acting Chairman, UPSC (Since 20th June 2018).The term of Mr. Saxena appointment will be till 7th August,2020 (attains the age-65 years), or till further orders.
- He was student of civil engineering from Delhi College of Engineering and holds M.Tech in systems management from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi.
- He was selected for civil services and joined Indian Postal Service in In 1988, he started working at Cabinet Secretariat, where he specialised in study of strategic developments in neighbouring countries.
- He has served in different countries and in states of Jammu and Kashmir, Punjab and Himachal Pradesh.
- He is recipient of awards for meritorious services (2005) and distinguished services (2012).
Union Public Service Commission (UPSC)
- UPSC is constitutional body which conducts the prestigious civil services examination to select IAS, IFS and IPS officers among others.
- It has been established under Article 315 of the Constitution and consists of Chairman and ten Members appointed and removed by President.
- The chairman and members of the Commission hold office for a term if six years or until they attain the age of 65 years, whichever is earlier.
- It conducts the prestigious civil services examination to select officers of Indian Administrative Service (IAS), Indian Foreign Service (IFS) and Indian Police Service (IPS) among others.